Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Take My Breath Away

I know this topic is seemingly banal but I promise if you were here you would understand.

This morning I woke up to weather that was -4 degrees and was about to walk to school when my friend texted me saying that his weather app claimed the weather to be deathly cold. Not wanting to lose a friend, he decided to save my life and come and pick me up. Little did I know the temperature with the wind chill was -18. When I got out of his car to walk up to school it was as though the cold air was entering my alveolar sacs, crystalizing and then bursting them in a frozen explosion. I thought I was going to die. Just up the street the temperature was -45. Yes, you read that correctly. -45.

Up until this point I always have figured that people who complain about the weather in Logan were just a bunch of wusses... I take back all of my previous thoughts about them. They're really soothsayers.

I feel like I more fully understand Robert Frost's poem Fire and Ice and if I am able to determine the way the Earth ends I am going to voraciously campaign against death by freezing.

Fire and Ice

BY ROBERT FROST

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

1 comment: