Thursday, February 3, 2011

Year of the Rabbit

(Rabbit PDA is socially acceptable)
Welcome to the year of the rabbit! In order to celebrate this exciting news I would like to tell you a little bit about the pet I had as a child.

I love animals and I really wanted a bunny, so in Orme family fashion, I had to write an essay about why I deserved a rabbit and how I would be responsible for him. Honestly dad, who makes their 2nd grader do that? Anyway, the following month Oreo entered my life (let's play a game and see if you can figure out what colors he was). So Oreo becomes a part of the family and he is great, and though he was frequently tormented by my brothers who called him Numan (off of Seinfeld) I loved him.

That is until he bit me.

So Matt and I were playing in the backyard and he kept threatening to hit Oreo with a football. As a good caretaker, I put a blanket over him in order to protect him. Ok, so in Oreo's defense he was probably scared out of his mind in the dark and the hugs of "love" that I kept giving him were probably more painful than helpful. There I am, the guardian of the cookie, and Matt actually throws the football and I give another love squeeze and Oreo bit me.

It hurt.
I had to get a shot.
Our relationship was never the same.

Years later Oreo would find himself "relocated" to another family looking for a rabbit.

The more I relive the story the more pity I have for Oreo. I mean this rabbit lived in the dungeon, also known as our unfinished basement, during the bleak winter months and I would often neglect him. Also, he never got to hang out with other rabbit friends, and I am pretty sure he was tormented by a dog or two throughout his life.

And so to bring in the year of the rabbit I dedicate 2011 to Oreo and I hope that rabbits are treated better this year. Cheers to my first, and possibly, last rabbit.
(Does this not look like Fiver or Bigwig?)

3 comments:

adam and jess said...

is it weird that reading this post just makes me want to eat a sleeve of oreos? ps i've been sitting next to your sister in law during matt and adam's basketball games on friday nights. she's a cute gal as are you!

cassi said...

so funny! i had a bunny once too- that i won in a drawing in 7th grade- but he had red eyes. oreo sounds much cuter- and very loved.

Diana said...

I totally remember Oreo! Good times :)