Wednesday, April 22, 2009

newspapers

Yesterday someone asked my how I knew about a book-I replied I had read about it in the newspaper. I read the newspaper everyday.

Dear newspapers,
I'm sorry that you're all going out of business. It's partially my fault because I don't pay for you and rob you of your informative, free, online news. Hopefully you don't all shut down, though Colorado and Seattle apparently couldn't handle the technological revolution. Goodluck with the recession though.

best,
Sarah

The girl then gave me a look like I was crazy. Ok, well here are my thoughts.

a. everyone should read the news--it all about the world around you and it really influences you.

b. you're more educated when you do

c. you can read about pirates (everytime i think about the pirates i laugh...it's way sad for the 200 captive people but it's just so bizarre and makes me feel like i'm in the 1700's)

d. you can join in peoples conversations

e. if actually affects your life

case in point: my parents computer as been SO slow this last month and we were going to have someone come and look at it but we hadn't yet. My dad was reading the newspaper, and there was a column about how explorer 8 makes computers that are more than two years old very slow. Hmmm....the solution to the computer problem. I uninstalled it and now i have fast access to the blogging world...and the new york times.

Thus, read the newspaper. Be informed....

Also: thanks to mandi and erica I listen to NPR's "wait wait...don't tell me" podcast every week and it's the funniest saterical commentary about the news. 60 minuets of laugh out loud fun.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I dont like how newspapers smell. Yuck!

I am going to miss the Daily Universe though, when I graduate.

Mike said...

News. You can't live without it.

I love you sarah.

mandi winterton said...

Thanks for the shout out! I like nothing more!

cassi said...

Your'e such a cute little smartie!