Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Happening

Seemingly
Tempted.
Unkowningly
Determinded.
Youth

Quietly looking at gargantuan pictures of books (the embodiment of knowledge) I find myself in the titled honors room. This room is not for the honored at all but is a habitat for the future people who will create honors for themselves and their work. I begin to write. My own book, commonly termed a paper, becomes my focus. The consumption of time it demands parallels that of a book, but it would be a lie to call it such. So i sit, looking at the true books of exploration, determination, love, and fate....I embark. Sitting at the desk, books piled high, I prove myself as a student. The pages are filled and the paper is done. I submit it to the critic whose comments matter, my dad. He receives the document at 10:31 and begins. I wait. My feet, pattering in the puddles, lead me to his den, paneled with wood, in the ASB where I enter his office. He' s there, with his glasses, diligently critiquing and editing my paper. I take a seat across from his formidable table, in gratitude to not be on his opposing side, and wait. Finished, he looks up--gives me a very rare and highly valued compliment on my paper--and takes me to lunch.

Lunch is a conversation interrupted by our own laughter, both of us thinking that we are so funny. The topics vary from the ever present political ideals to the future and family. My mockery of youth, and his reminiscent stories full of advice make learners of both of us. I'm lucky to have a dad who is one of my best friends who likes to hang out with me during school, buy my lunch, laugh at my jokes, enjoy my work, has faith in my future, and cares.

Thanks dad

i suppose i'll go back to studying now..... i wish you all the best of luck on finals.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

my dad is cooler than your dad.

Unknown said...

Awwww...how sweet. I have the same relationship with my dad too. I think that having a close relationship with our fathers is probably one of the most influential things we'll have in life. It's ESPECIALLY great when they buy us food though...