Monday, April 6, 2009

Checklists of life

They say if you want to be happy you have to try a little harder. They say if you don’t like the way things are you need to be more dedicated. They say if you want a different life you can get it but you need to be a different person, doing different things.

They suck.

I feel like I had a plan, a life plan that was going to be great. I was going to change the world, change people, be married, be leaving Utah on an adventure, and exploring ways to make this world work.

And here I sit, in the library, writing about how the combination of they and me has made me less happy about my life, and more aware of my inadequacies. There are the checklists in life, the pattern we create which we confidently generate in order to protect us from needing the advice of the ‘theys’. I am throwing the checklists away.

The checklist only makes us compare, covet and want things irrelevant to true happiness. The checklist makes me limit who I can date, and who I want to be around. The checklist demands my conversations be intellectual and not a reflection of who I am: a questioner. So for every checklist we made in young womens, college, and even the daily list of what I need to--I am throwing them out. Instead, my checklist will now be the truth of the gospel, the inspiration to help people, and the intrinsic nature of my being who knows, without stress and doubt, what makes me happy.

Goodbye checklist.

6 comments:

Kellee Marie Cook said...

"If you want to be happy, be."

I threw out the checklist a long time ago.. in fact , I don't think I ever had one. Welcome to my life, party shorts and all.

Unknown said...

It's true what you say. The only checklist I find useful is in the ol' quad.

Britt Linde said...

You are great. And forget the checklist. I never had one and look at me! jk.

Unknown said...

love.

you.

did i mention i love you?

Annie said...

i love reading your little tid bits. i hate "they". and i agree with you, checklists never were happiness. looove you and miss you.

Jenna and Daniel said...

So, you're saying B has a chance. I'll get it set up.