Saturday, May 10, 2008

Beachy Head

.


Here we are at Beachy Head. This is considered part of the seven sisters, which are seven branches of the coast that have huge, white, chalky cliffs. It is awe inspiring. Apparently, the jagged, 500 foot drop can be blamed on the continent of Africa running into Europe. It has a suicide rate of 20 people a year, so a bit scary. Also, notice the intense wind. The horizon was really cool because there was a bit of haze and it melted into the ocean..it was very cool.

I remember reading this poem last year and wanting to go actually see the white cliffs....so here it is.

The White Cliffs

I
I have loved England, dearly and deeply,
Since that first morning, shining and pure,
The white cliffs of Dover I saw rising steeply
Out of the sea that once made her secure.
I had no thought then of husband or lover,
I was a traveller, the guest of a week;
Yet when they pointed 'the white cliffs of Dover',
Startled I found there were tears on my cheek.
I have loved England, and still as a stranger,
Here is my home and I still am alone.
Now in her hour of trial and danger,
Only the English are really her own.

by: Alice Miller

No comments: