Friday, September 17, 2010

The Poof

I was warned about two things in Logan.

Tied-dye shirts and the poof. I have had numerous experiences with both, but this post is dedicated to the poof.

If you don’t know what the poof is you must come visit. Northern Utahans (I just had to look up if that is really what natives of Utah are called, and we are indeed Utahans) love to sport the high volume poof in their hair. The style is simple. You take straight, beautiful hair and ruin it my ratting the under layers, destroying them (and possibly the atmosphere) with hair spray in a can, and then smoothing the top. Thus adding 4 inches of height.

I was talking to my roommates about the poof and Annie said “everybody poofs.” As if that statement alone isn’t funny enough, I couldn’t stop thinking about the book “Everybody Poops,” a childhood classic. I digress.

Anyway, I look around and it’s true. Virtually 80% of the girls up here are sporting the poof proudly. It seems unspoken that there is a competition and the one with the most poof has the most power. Poof=power. An odd equation, but one which the Loganites (I didn’t look up that name. I am choosing to believe they are called Loganites because it sounds fantastic) hold to. Sometimes I sit in class and look around at the poofs, because it’s hard to see the professor due to said poof, and I just think about how much work the poof is. The irony of it all is I spend all morning attempting to rid myself of my natural poof, a product of very curly hair, and am always a little disappointed with the inevitable remaining poof. In my world poof= girls with a inferiority complex whose fake nails are always too short for them and their Aeropostal shirts have been dried one time too many. But alas, there is the small voice inside of me that, for .5 sec thinks, I’m so glad I have natural (or any sort) of volumne in my hair.

I often wonder if the poof is natural though--or if they have invested in the ever classic tv infomercial of the bumpit. This invention, which comes in three sizes, allows for the unnatural look of the poof (sometimes referred to as the bump-hense bumpit) to be done in mere minuets. Thank you inventor--for further delaying the progress of women in Logan.

If you're wondering how a bumpit works I've added instructions.


The point of this post? To pledge to never intentionally poof and to keep a healthy perspective of how ridiculous the poof is. This could be a challenge because I am surrounded by it daily. Will you make the pledge?

7 comments:

Brittany said...

Yep, there's lot of poofiness. I contribute it to the fact that we're so close to Idaho. Those girls that come from Preston and Grace are poofing pros. Haha!

Brittany said...

I just thought of a funny story. My freshman year, we had a Relief Society activity where a girl that was going to beauty school was going to teach us about hair and makeup. She was from Burley, Idaho and had a poof so big you could see right through it. She showed us how she achieved her poof by ratting it with lots of hairspray and said something to the effect that the higher your hair, the higher of chances you'll get a double take from that hot guy you've been eying. My sister and I just about died! Too bad she didn't realize that double take would result in severe mockery!

Unknown said...

i pledge allegiance to the un-poofed women of the united states of america. . .

Hayley Baum said...

Sarah!
I feel your frizzy pain, and I live in humidity. :) You MUST invest in moroccan oil. Seriously, I want to buy stock in it. It protects your hair from the heat, adds shine & acts as a leave-in protectant, sunscreen, etc. Absorbs naturally, so you can leave your straight for multiple days.

*small amount in wet before blowdry, more on dry hair to finish or flat-iron in.


Secondly: TIGI "Dirty Secret" Dry Shampoo. (stupid name, but that's bedhead for you.) Black aerosol can with green lid. THIS IS AMAZING to resurrect your hair for another day. Do heat styling (touch bangs up, etc first)- then spray down part & any funky sleep spots in the back, rub in with fingers. TRUST ME. I'm the queen of 5 minute tricks to get me out the door to the salon, looking like I belong there.

mandi winterton said...

i also pledge. you will never see me sport the poof. however, i can't pledge to be poof free. i can't control this one....my hair is huge.

Peaches said...

I have seen this product, and it reminds me of hairstyles in the 1960's. Personally, I would not like the "poof", but I guess it depends on the hair style that is created with it, which determines whether it is fashionable or outdated. Good coverage on the "poof"!

JordanGuy said...

Poof is also a derogatory term for Homosexuals. When I first saw your post I thought your blog was headed in a very different direction. My mom kind of poofs though, so I'm slightly offended, but I'll pledge for myself.