Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Stargirl

Jerry Spinelli can write. You may recall his name from the highly read book Maniac Maggee a novel centered around a boy who runs. Always. Well Stargirl has been sweeping the scene of young adult literature and the book was given to me on Monday. Though I am not usually one to love young adult literature, this book is fantastic. The words have a way of talking about love like a lazy ballon, or a friend as a substance of bendable light. The theme is one not uncommon to YA lit, a tale of a teenager being an individual. But this story is not about the protagonist, but instead is told by her friend who describes the changes that Stargirl goes though when trying to be popular, herself, a cheerleader, owner of a rat, do-gooder, and happy person. Though an easy read, I find myself reflecting on how I feel that I can be a better person, one who cares less about myself and more about others. I highly recommend this book to everyone (particually those who have lost the desire to find oneself in the haze of commonality which is so often a cruch to people).

1 comment:

Britt Linde said...

we had to read that in 9th grade. they made the whole state of arizona read it. well, the ones in public school.

we had to listen to the tape of this guy reading the book, and he pronounced "saguaro" like it looks, instead of like "suh-wahr-oh" like its supposed to sound. I was thoroughly irritated.

the book brings out a lot of sociological factors that i think play a huge role in everyone's lives. none of us understood this in 9th grade though.