Monday, July 20, 2009

Three Cups of Tea

Last summer I read a book titled "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson. This books is an idealistic tale of building schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan in hopes that the women there can rise above their impoverished world and create a better world for themselves and their children. In a society where sexism is the norm, the goal of Mortenson gave me a rush of hope in humanity. There is a great article about it by Thomas Friedman called "Teacher, Can We Leave Now? No." It takes a step back from the political world of wars and contention and looks at the potential for improvement that these undeveloped nations have, and illustrated that there is a promise for a better future.

Anyway, it's a good book which I would highly recommend. In other news I went to Toronto CA where I realized that Canada struggles from a severe identity crisis. They hail the queen, cross the boarder for American health care, and claim their own independence. Poor Canada, it has no idea what it is. It doesn't even know which language to speak. Regardless, it was so cool and I loved being back in a city with streets by the name of Queen and King. I also went to Niagara falls where I rode a boat into a cavern made of walls of rushing water. It was so funny. I also went to Palmyra NY which was interesting. Ps: no one lives there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

read the book. loved the book. read your blog. loved your blog. read you? wait. . . love you.

Jenna and Daniel said...

I loved the book too. It made me want to do something amazing for the world...for about three weeks. Whoops!