Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bucket List

They call it life's "bucket list." A system of wants, wishes, and dreams that will hopefully be realized within one's life. This post is not intended to mention all the things on my list, some being far too embarrassing or private to share, but I think I will mention some realized, some in the making, and some (hopefully) quickly approaching.

Those realized:

Teach seniors in high school
If you think that wise guys, or any other stand up comedy club is funny you clearly have not hung out with 18 year olds about to graduate. They are so funny. The sarcasm is so rich and if you're willing to laugh at your own mistakes all you do is laugh the day away. I truly love them so much and am going to miss them. Highlight of the day "what are you doing after graduation?" he replies, "go on a mission." I pause and say "that's great, but what about after?" He gives me a look of confusion and says "I don't know..." Truly, I don't think he realized life exists post mission. So funny.

Ramble around London
My study abroad gave me opportunities to travel that I never would have dreamed. I frequently think about the used bookstores that stole my heart, or the chocolate that made me gain 10 well-worth it pounds. I found friends who will last a lifetime and memories that will make me jealous of my 20 year old self for the rest of my life.

Graduate from BYU
Well, I'm walking in April for good or for bad. It's a result of a lot of early mornings and late nights of studying to graduate but I think it was worth it. Too bad I have to go to spring semester and take a religion class......choice words are going through my head directed at the religion department (probably not good for Karma).

Those in the making:


Go to graduate school
This week I committed to go to Utah State University to get my masters in English (emphasizing in rhetoric and composition). They also have me teaching two classes of freshman English in the fall and then two in the winter. Welcome to teaching RMs that are my age. I really am so excited! It's close enough to home to visit but far enough to start to stretch my wings. Plus, I feel really good about it. I think I'm supposed to be there---this being the only thought that is getting me past the fact that it's in Logan. Plus, I get to teach (see item #1).

Live with my best friends
After years of convincing, Mandi finally succumbed to moving in with Kellee and I. To top it off I made a new best friend, Rebbie, and was able to continue the London experience with my bunk buddy Ky. Luckily Ky is friends with Mary so we truly have North Ogden represented and have created a family of friends.

Wear my hair curly
After years of insecurity about curly hair, I have been forced to get over it because I have to be at school at 7 am which means that I have ten minutes to get ready for school--the perfect amount of time to put gel in my hair and run out the door. Luckily the feedback has been good.

Those quickly approaching (hopefully):

Living back east
I have always wanted to live back east, and though it is not being realized now I am hoping that maybe during the summer after my first year of graduate school I will be able to do an internship there. Keep your fingers crossed.

Taking a creative writing class
I love English (which most of you know) and I have never taken a creative writing class. This skill, when learned, will hopefully realize my dream (which is also mentioned on whatwhitepeoplelike) to write a book. For all of my faithful readers I promise you a signed, first edition copies.

Getting Married.....
Mostly I just am sick of first dates....so this is my solution, for now, to get out of them (jk).

Well there is a quick update for you all.

Loves,
S.

5 comments:

Maren said...

I'm holding you to a signed copy of that book, Sarah. Good luck in Logan! you are going to be great!

Hayley Baum said...

You will LOVE the east coast... especially the south. I'm just telling you now, you may never want to go home.

PS if you do go to the east coast, come to raleigh. :) I will take care of you, and it is AMAZING!

Unknown said...

love you. miss you. need to see more of you before you jet north.

Britt Linde said...

i love when you update your blog.

Challis said...

Sarah, where were you all my life? First of all I so totally read stuffwhitepeoplelike. Love that you read it too. I want to write a book so badly. Always wanted to live back east (and you will too, right about the time I did). You are going to be so great at grad school, and I can't wait to see what's around the corner for you.